Limited access to conventional financing has increased the demand for capital while simultaneously creating an opportunity for investors to earn above market returns through private lending. Rather than qualifying based on a traditional lender’s credit profile, a borrower seeking private funds negotiates directly with the lender. Savvy self-directed investors can offer this private lending source as their IRA provides the borrower with the capital needed to execute their investment strategy. In essence, your Self-Directed IRA can help you become the “bank.”
Private lenders can lend at rates higher than traditional funding sources and have the freedom to structure repayment terms to their advantage. A Promissory Note is one of the most commonly held private lending vehicles. A note can be secured (backed by collateral) or unsecured. As is true with all investing, private lending requires thorough due diligence and an understanding of both the opportunity and risk associated with the investment and its security instrument.
- Title Company Can facilitate and record Real Estate transactions, provide title reports, and issue Title Insurance as desired
- Attorney Prepares legal documents to facilitate transactions and can advise you on legal matters
- Servicing Agent Provides third party recordkeeping, statements, and various desired services for loan and note agreements between two or more parties
- Becoming the “Bank” presents the opportunity to set interest rates and structure repayment terms at the IRA account holders’ discretion
- Promissory Notes can be unsecured or secured with a Deed of Trust
- Vantage is not a Servicing Agent and is not responsible for ensuring that timely payments are being made on the notes held within the IRA account
- Notes that are held within your IRA are valued at the face value of the note, less any reported principle pay downs, and do not require the IRA account holder to complete an annual Fair Market Valuation.
- Foreclosure or collection activity on unpaid or defaulted notes is the sole responsibility of the IRA account holder, not Vantage
DISCLAIMER: Vantage Self-Directed Retirement Plans does not offer investment, tax, financial, or legal advice nor do we endorse any products, investments, or companies that offer such advice and/or investments. All parties are strongly encouraged to perform their own due diligence and consult with the appropriate professional(s) licensed in that area before entering into any type of investment.
*All investments involve risk. There are no guarantees that alternative asset investments will increase returns and minimize losses. Like traditional investments, there are inherent risks of investing in alternative assets and many hold the opportunity to lose most or all money invested.